Thursday, February 1, 2018

Bike Experimentation Reflection

This hour and a half of experimenting was definitely very interesting. Before we got started I was already frustrated. Having to think abstractly is difficult for me, so I knew this would be a challenge. I began by thinking about the movement of the bike and associating words with bicycling - speed, outside, freedom, road, breeze, sun, sky, trees, grass, work, sweat, connection, determination, carefree. The idea of connection really stuck with me, and as I explored I found more ways that "connection" is essential to biking.

When I first wrote that word, I thought about how people may feel connected to nature when on a bike. However, while exploring different visuals related to biking I began to notice that "connection" seemed to pop up everywhere I looked. Bikes function entirely off of connection. The gears and chains and breaks and wheels are all connected in an intricate system and all are essential for the bike to function. I then noticed that human connection is also essential in bicycling. I bicycle cannot move without a human. Bicycles are built entirely to fit to the human body. And then from there I noticed that bicycling also tends to create a community of people who then form connections through bicycling.

The actual experimentation process started slow, I began with sketches, moved to photography and then later got more playful with videos and playing around with other forms, materials, and connecting with my classmates. At the end I felt MUCH better than when I began. I still need about 10 more non-photographic compositions, but I am feeling much more open to this than earlier today. That's a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment