Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Design Readings 3

What connections can you make between creativity + failure and serendipity?
I think failure within the creative process many times leads to a serendipitous moment. You could keep trying, and trying, and trying to solve a problem and fail over and over again. From one of those failures, or from something completely unrelated at all, you might find that something pops into your head that perfectly fits your situation.
Do you find any value in discovery on the way to finding an answer? Why?
I think this process, although occasionally frustrating, can certainly be useful. During this discovery period, you may find not only an innovative solution to the problem at hand, but this many times lends itself to discovering an idea for a completely unrelated project. 
Steven Johnson outlines contrary arguments about the serendipitous capacity of the internet compared to that of analog media. Based on your own use of digital and print media, which to you find more serendipitous? Why?
I typically find digital media to be more serendipitous, for a few reasons. I definitely work digitally more than I do print, so there is more probability for serendipity to occur. Also, I find myself much more interested in playing around and experimenting with digital media...for me this medium lends itself more to exploration. Through that exploration, and opening yourself up to new ideas, is the perfect place for serendipity to occur. 

No comments:

Post a Comment